So I was thinking that I should update everybody on how I'm doing considering the Multiple Sclerosis. I met with my neurologist in December and he said I only need to see him annually or if I have any sort life altering relapse (such as losing my eyesight in one eye (again), trouble walking, talking, etc.). Thank God I have not had a relapse. However, I do feel the effects of the MS. The biggest obstacle I have with the MS is the fatigue. I have to drag myself through each day. Let's just say caffeine is a friend of mine. When I take a day off from work I find that I do great all morning but I seem to crash around 1:00. If I nap for an hour I am usually good for the rest of the day. On day's I work (I still work full-time as an 8th grade math teacher), I usually drink a black iced tea on my way to work, a diet Dr. Pepper at 11:00 and another diet Dr. Pepper at 3:00. I think I drink the iced tea on the way to work because I just enjoy drinking them. My neurologist has offered to put me on anti-fatigue medication. However, I don't want to pop a pill if I don't have to. Heck, I all ready have to give my self a shot everyday. I don't know. I debate calling up my doctor and getting the medication.
Another impact of the MS is every morning when I wake up my feet are tingling numb. It usually takes about 15 minutes for them to stop tingling. Some morning I can't just jump out of bed. I need to wiggle them and give them time. I was a little worried a week or so ago because I started to feel the tingling in my hands. However, thank God, it only last a couple of days. Hopefully it doesn't come back.
One side effect of the MS that my co-teacher, and friend, Maribel, sees impacted everyday is my memory. My short term memory has been hit hard. I have such a difficult time remembering where I placed something earlier or if I invited someone to a meeting. Let's just say I found a cheeseburger in my glove compartment that was about a month old. My sister swears she told me it was there. She probably did. I just forget very easily.
I'm not great about discussing this stuff when people ask "how are you doing with the MS?" I always say "fine" and then move the discussion on. So, now you know a little more.
No comments:
Post a Comment