Ally and I both did the zip line (8 stories high) our first year at church camp and every year since. The first time Ally did the zip line was pretty amazing to me because Ally is often afraid of so much. And, she went before I did! Every year we ask Henry if he is going to do the zip line and he gives us a straight "no". Well, this year when we asked him, Henry said he would think about it. This was huge. He never said he would think about it.
Quick side note. Henry's older brother, Travis, is terrified of heights. Like bad. And Ryan seemed to inherit this fear. Since Ryan could toddle on his own, he has been terrified of the stairs by my classroom. The stairwell is in the center of the hall way, and half way down there is a landing where you turn to continue down the stairs. So, it is very open. Ryan will, and always has, walk along the wall, sucking in his belly, trying to get as far away from the stairs as possible. Well, I always suspected Henry also had this fear of heights but just was not willing to admit it.
Well, Henry not only thought about the zip line, he did it!!!!!! I was so proud of him. I laughed a bit when he was on the top of the platform and the attendant told him to step off. He looked down to the ground, then back at the attendant, and asked "are you sure?" He attempted to step off about 5 times, each time taking a step back.
Finally, He looked at the attendant and asked, "what's your name". She replied "Michelle". Henry then said, "Ok Michelle, this time I'm going to jump." And he jumped!
Ally and I also did the zip line, two times each (that wiped me out MS-wise for the rest of the day - but it was worth it). Look at the smile on Ally's face as she is flying down the zip line.
Since Ryan is afraid of heights, he did a much lower zip line. I was pretty proud of him for doing this, because two years ago he would not have even attempted this one.
The weekend was nice a calm. We played miniature golf, dance some square dancing, went swimming, hung out with great friends and much more.
Like always, we are looking forward to church camp next year.



No comments:
Post a Comment